Saturday, October 2, 2010

I probably should save this for a later post. You have not been properly introduced to me (or why White Boy Be Crazy), and I'm already showing you pictures of other people and their questionable undertakings. Nonetheless, I feel compelled to post pictures of the first cyclocross race I have encountered:
You really ought to click on the picture above. You'll be taken to a place where you can zoom in to it. The expression on his face is priceless!
I rode around on the course a little. I watched the racers gasping for breath as they crested the short steep climbs. I saw some of them run over the obstacles without losing speed, and others who stopped to dismount, jumped, ran, then jumped again, and finally remounted an almost stationary bike. (Much like I would probably do it.) I asked myself why they thought it was reasonable to ride road bikes on grass and sand and mud and off curbs. And then it came to me like a thunderbolt from the crazy sky we had (20% chance of thunderstorms and hot as a wet dog--in October) They were doing it because it must be fun as hell! At least that's how it looked to me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment