Monday, November 8, 2010

Mt SAC Fat Tire Classic

We have changed back from Daylight Saving Time which means that the days have been getting short enough to be mildly depressing. And with the change, we will have no evening. Go straight from work to night. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Fortunately, this blow is softened each year by one of the most fun MTB races around. The Mt SAC Fat Tire Classic. A nice mix of fireroad and singletrack that is grueling at times, fun at others, but offers plenty of places to recover or pass. There are unique metal trophies made by the welding class. There is the fact that you can't ride the course any other time of year because it goes through gates that are locked to keep the cows in. You can even be late and still race, if you forgot to reset your clock!

Not very flowy except on race day...

So cute!

This year, it was a disappointing day at the races for me. I rode my rigid singlespeed against the Cat 2 "Sport" racers of my age group. I came in 7th place. Had I been racing in the Singlespeed category, I would have been 4th. Doesn't matter, trophies went to the top three. The disappointing part was the fact that my camera had no memory card in it.

My friend, Quinn, was racing alongside this 14 year old girl who was racing MTB for the first time. That is always neat to see. First times are special. Looking at her face afterwards, you couldn't see the supercharged emotions that (I'm guessing) she was not about to let Mom see. All I know is that my first race made me a giant exposed nerve to my emotions.

Maybe it was different for this racer. She races crits and track. Track, like at the velodrome, fer cryin' out loud! I didn't know what a track bike was when I was 40, let alone 14. She also has a mother that will not only pace her, but reply to "Mom, I can't breathe!" with "You can talk; you can breathe."

What a different life than the one I had! I hope she likes it.

I must say, if you are female and considering racing, do it. 14 year old newbie, her mother, and Quinn all got trophies. I saw my friend Sue after the race. She had won as usual, but she told me with a grin, "...and I beat someone this time." The trophy to competitor ratio is wild. Go and get some!

Some things just don't make any sense if your not a racer:

You might understand how arriving early, being excited and nervous, and having to wait for the scheduled start can make one want to pee. Quinn wanted to know if she had time to go to the bathroom. Of course there's time, I told her. Then she wanted to know if she should go to the bathroom. I'm still not sure what distinction she was drawing, but I said that pissing would make her lighter. End of discussion. She went.

No comments:

Post a Comment