Monday, April 23, 2012

Love My Commute?

So, I've been commuting to work on my mountain bike whenever I can. It's an easy way to add miles to my week. But honing my route has been a long process. I live in Pomona and work in Santa Fe Springs. I liked going over Fullerton Rd/Harbor Blvd, but too many drivers didn't want to share the road for my taste. I liked the bike lanes and/or wide lanes on Colima Rd. But the elevation profile was less challenging and the scenery left much to be desired. Pathfinder Rd was really nice, but I thought it was just a way to get to Harbor Blvd.

Well, it turns out continuing from Pathfinder to East and West Roads via Fullerton Rd is possible, difficult, and beautiful. As if that trinity of qualities wasn't enough, I can even ride partway on dirt. This dirt:

Nicer than Florence & Norwalk...

While, I'm pretty good at finding places to heed nature's call, why not plan a route with a nice park and clean bathrooms at the midpoint?

Feed Zone...

It's obvious that I'm showing pictures of the nice parts of the ride in the middle, and leaving out the less scenic termini. What is less obvious is the fact that this photo was taken from Grand Ave in the City of Industry. Not what I usually expect from that city...


Where's the beef? On my commute!

I'm still perfecting my route, but it will never be set in stone. Depending upon how I feel and how much time I have, I can always do some extra climbing and descend Schabarum Trail through the park of the same name. And one time I took Colima as a cop-out route when I was tired. Even after knowing the other alternatives...

No comments:

Post a Comment